Thursday, June 24, 2010

Goosegrass



Goosegrass (Galium aparine)

Goosegrass (Galium aparine)

Next in the tiny flower series is something quite unexpected, I think.

Goosegrass.

This was one of the first plants that attracted my attention last year. I don't think I've ever come across anything like it back in New England but it's all over the place here. It attaches itself to anything and everything like velcro. Seriously, someone should design something that sticks so well. If I'm out in the back and weeding, it sticks to my hands, my gloves, my shirt. Someone told me that kids will throw it onto their teacher's back for a laugh but I seriously doubt whether it would come cleanly off their little hands that easily. I *could* see it sticking to the back of someone's sweater for the entire day.

Goosegrass makes the tiny flower series because this month, if you look closely, you may notice a tiny little white flower. It's a pretty unremarkable part of the entire plant but there, nevertheless.


Goosegrass (Galium aparine) 29May2010 Goosegrass (Galium aparine) 16June2010

No comments:

Post a Comment