Friday, June 25, 2010

Daisy



Daisy (Bellis Perennis) 21June2010

Daisy (Bellis Perennis)

I regret to inform you that this is a daisy and it's going in the tiny flower series.

There. I said it.

Believe me, it's been a rough couple of days. I took photographs. I looked through all the books. I measured. Surely this tiny little insignificant miniature bit of fluff can't be a real daisy. Maybe it's Mexican Fleabane.

It turns out that the daisy that I grew up with, (the real daisy), the one we used to play "He Loves Me... He Love Me Not," is known as the OXEYE DAISY here in the UK. OXEYE DAISY? You have got to be kidding. How unromantic.

So this, in the UK at least, is the Daisy. Reminds me of a conversation we had with our British neighbors about robins. The robin here in the UK is the Robin; the bird known as a robin in the US is the AMERICAN ROBIN. Bah!

If it's any consolation, the USDA calls this plant [which, despite my bad-mouthing, I still love] a "lawndaisy". Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment