Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hedge Woundwort



Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica)

Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica)

This is my new favorite.

I noticed this scruff of purple a week or so ago. At first it looked to me like some sort of stinging nettle so I kept my distance. Having befriended yellow loosestrife, and knowing there was something called purple loosestrife, I took a chance and took a closer look.

What I saw was amazing. Whatever it was, I thought, it has the most beautifully decorated tiny purple blooms. The plant, at first glance, appears not to be worth the second glance. But then you'd miss those flowers.

I realized later that it wasn't the elusive purple loosestrife but was, instead, something called a "hedge woundwort" - and as you might guess from the name, is reputed to have healing powers. Now I notice this fellow almost everywhere, a little patch here or there, and I'm always ready to take that second glance.


Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica)

Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica)

Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica)

Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica)

No comments:

Post a Comment