Monday, June 21, 2010

Scarlet Pimpernel



Scarlet Pimpernel (Anagallis arvensis)

Scarlet Pimpernel (Anagallis arvensis)

This little cutie is going to start off a short series of short flowers. Get it? Short? As in small? Tiny? Oh, never mind.

The Scarlet Pimpernel was one of the easiest flowers for me to identify. It's just about the only orange/red flower in the book (Collins Nature Guide - my first source because the flowers are arranged by color). Okay, I'll flip through again just to prove it ...Pheasant's-eye (no), Common Poppy (no), Scarlet Pimpernel (YES). There, took me 2 minutes.

That said, there's not much else to say about it. That's the problem with these small ones. I notice them (especially this one because the color is unusual), but there's not much else going on there.

POISON
POISON
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's that? Skull and crossbones? My Collins Nature Guide is trying to tell me something. According to the Wildflower Finder site, all parts of this innocent-looking thing are poisonous. Well, there you go. You just never can tell.


Scarlet Pimpernel (Anagallis arvensis) Scarlet Pimpernel (Anagallis arvensis)

No comments:

Post a Comment