Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mystery - July



Mystery of the Month (July)

WHO AM I?

One of the things that I love about this project is that just about every day I notice something new.

Today's surprise is just the cutest thing. There are about 20 or so scattered plants just past the cow barn along the road just before Loppergarth. They're striking in that each leaf has a spot in the center and it's shaped like a heart. They're all that way. Not quite blooming but just starting something that looks pink.

Usually I take a few snapshots hoping that I'll be able to identify whatever-it-is later. That identification process, for me, is always fun but neither easy nor quick. Most of my photos don't get posted right away (or at all).

That's the feeling I have about this one. I have no idea how to start. Not much of a flower. Leaf with brown spot. It looks familiar; like something I might have pulled out of the garden as a weed perhaps? But I'd have left it there with such interesting leaves.

Anyway, these are just too wonderful to keep to myself. I'll update later with a name if I ever discover what it might be.


Mystery of the Month (July) Mystery of the Month (July)


Redshank (Persicaria maculosa)

Redshank (Persicaria maculosa)

Update July 15: EUREKA!

I've picked up a couple of new books and one of them, The Concise British Flora in Colour, is just wonderful. It has the most delicious illustrations of plants and I really enjoyed paging through ... and there it was! The mystery plant! Labeled as Polygonum persicaria (in 1965) but the Latin name these days seems to be Persicaria maculosa. Common name is Redshank and here's a site with more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment