Friday, July 2, 2010

Rosebay Willowherb


Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium)
Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium)

On my trip to Walney, I went looking specifically for Purple-loosestrife. Yellow loosestrife is gorgeous and I really wanted to find the purple version. Never mind that the two aren't even related [I didn't know that at the time]. According to my books, they looked the same (except in color) and ... I assumed ...

So what was it that drew me back to Walney? What did I see that I thought was Purple-loosestife?

Turns out that it was Rosebay Willowherb. A wispy beautiful blowing-in-wind pink/purple that seems to like to grow in large patches away from the side of the road. It's quite a bit like Yellow Loosestrife in that way. I've never seen just one by itself. And never in the narrow spots between a road and the hedge. Seems to need a bit more space than that.

July is definitely its month.

Rosebay Willowherb
Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium)

Update July 12: As I sit at my desk at look out the window, I can see a large patch of Rosebay Willowherb. It would take me at least 5 minutes to walk there from the house and, even then, I wouldn't be able to get to it easily as it's behind fences in an overgrown field. I love that I can recognize it from here.

Rosebay Willowherb view from my window
View from my window

Update July 13: Some books show this to be Epilobium angustifolium; others use the name Chamerion angustifolium. I followed the Collins Flower Guide and used the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment