Thursday, July 1, 2010

South Walney Blitz

Walney Island is a special treat for me. There's the beach with beautiful round smooth stones of all colors, lots of paths for exploring, and a couple of wildlife protection areas. I wouldn't have thought that the wildflowers would be quite so different there as it's only a 10 mile drive from the house.

Maggie (my dog) and I decided to take a long walk, following the narrow road south, from the beach in the center of Walney Island to the entrance of the trailer park (and well before the bird sanctuary on the island's southern tip). I was still on the lookout for purple loosestrife but didn't really expect to see so many other unfamiliar faces.

Before it was over, I captured tons of photos and will post the best of each type of plant here as soon as I can identify it. Sea kale and common mallow are among my favorites. Plants that I didn't see (which are common here in Pennington) include yellow loosestrife and foxglove. Purple loosestrife: it's still on my MIA list.

Sea-kale (Crambe maritima)Sea-kale (Crambe maritima)
Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium)Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium)
Update July 1: I heard on the radio that "Walney Island" may be more appropriately be referred to as "Walney" as the former is redundant. One source states:
The Norse term for "island" was known to be "ey", "ay", "ai",  which seems to 'with little doubt' make the suffix of Walney, so what about the that the remaining "Waln"? again if you were to maintain the Norse theme then it can be questionable that "Wal-Ney" was originally know as "Vogn-ey", meaning that of "Island of the Killer Whale", which ironically is the way in which Arthur Evans describes Walney Island [in LOST LANCASHIRE].

No comments:

Post a Comment